Tuesday 20 September 2016

Freedom's Just Another Word For Nothing Left To Loose...

In honour of my three marvellous months in Corfu, I thought I'd share some snaps I took and the playlist that kept my feet tapping all summer long.

Honey, I'm home! 1 / 2

Gradually the magic of the island settled over us as gently and clingingly as pollen. Each day had a tranquillity, a timelessness, about it so that you wished it would never end. But then the dark skin of night would peel off and there would be a fresh day waiting for us, glossy and colourful as a child's transfer and with the same tinge of unreality. - Gerald Durrell, My Family and Other Animals.


When we said our first hello, little did we know...

I was quite the nomad this summer as I banana-splited my time between various villages throughout my stay. I lived for a few weeks in Benitses, Kanalia, Corfu Town and Episkepsi! Let's just say I have ample writing material to keep me busy until next summer rolls around...

Boozy veranda dates with me, myself & a pen!

The only downside to living on top of a hill in the middle of nowhere is unexpected visitors...

All is forgiven. 1 / 2

But all that thought you're givin' me is conscience I guess...

 Not a summer goes by that I don't find myself buried in the hat box full of baby photos at my yiayia's house. I just want it to be known that I had the Yolandi Visser cut before Yolandi Visser. Although my excuse was that I was five and scissor happy...

... yes, that's my brother Billy and I feeding the neighbour's goats in Pelekas back in 2000!

A highlight this summer was the ace BBQ we threw at ours one evening. There was enough meat to feed the 5000, an enormous chocolate gateau and a motley crew of our nearest and dearest. We also hollowed out a watermelon and used it as a keg for our homemade watermelon vodka mix. Here's a tutorial if you want a good time.This summer I also discovered the Icelandic vodka ursus - thanks, Ben!

My father, ladies and gentlemen!

Last year I abstained this year I devour without guilt which is also an art. -
Margaret Atwood, You Are Happy


How I miss countless afternoons lazing at the beach. Here my friend Marianna and I drew one another, no points for guessing which one's mine *awkward collar tug*



...with you.

Don't forget it, baby!



2016's answer to The Spice Girls! #albumcover #canibescaryspice

With such scenic office / bus journey views, it's a wonder I didn't do a Rachel and yell out "THIS PLANE HAS NO PHALANGE!" on the flight back to Glasgow.



As I took an obscene amount of photos and ate an obscene amount of sublime food, so will be throwing together a wee travel guide soon.


Eshk... I'm beginning to reach the point of my camera roll post night-I-stood-on-broken-glass.


In the height of summer, my mama came to the island and we spent a magical two weeks exploring, collecting sea glass and going on banana split crawls. We also drank an impressive amount of village wine ~ in fact, I think we spent more time in the tsipouradiko than in the sea which says a lot...

1 / 2

We stayed above our local church in Corfu town and had THE coolest cat as a neighbour. We never discovered this chaps name but had a ball guessing: Garfield? Pork chop? Boba fatt? Snorlax? Dionysus?

This cat has reached in enlightenment.

One afternoon we embarked on a trip down memory lane and found ourselves in the heart of Pelekas. There's a teeny tiny yidonia outside the village called Bizatika that I used to call home and where time stands still. Whilst perambulating through the hippie village, we discovered the Μαγισσόσπιτο (witch house), a magnificent bougainvillea tree and made a bunch of furry friends along the way...


Towards the end of my time on the island, I inadvertently began a photo series called Καλό Μεσημέρι in which I captured islanders disco napping. Whether it was the cats curled up in plant pots, this captain below conked out, or a tourist with tired feet under a cypress tree...


Let me be your 'leccy meter and I'll never run out...

Perks of living above a church. 
Recipe for fellow foodies ~ save me a slice!

Looking wistfully into the distance, wondering what I'll eat for dinner.

 If I cannot bend heaven, I will raise hell. - Virgil, The Aeneid • 
Wishing well, Monastery of Paleokastritsa.

lol @ my student budget attempt to Vivienne Westwood my bandaged ankle.


Maybe there's a message on the bottom of this jug, let's find out...

You're smaller than my wife imagined.
Surprised, you were human.

I'll build you a kingdom in that house on the hill...

Εν Πλω • 
Crazy skies all wild above me now 
Winter howling at my face 
And everything I held so dear
 Disappeared without a trace 
Oh all the times I've tasted love
 Never knew quite what I had
 Little Darling if you hear me now
 Never needed you so bad 
Spinning round inside my head




My friends were lucky enough to see LP over the weekend in Thessaloniki... lucky buggers! 


Music has always been a matter of Energy to me, a question of Fuel. Sentimental people call it Inspiration, but what they really mean is Fuel. I have always needed Fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S. Thompson


The only one that knows this ounce of words is just a token,
is he who has a ton to tell, but must remain unspoken.


*The music video to this is the dog's bollocks, but for some mysterious reason I can't feature it on my blog. Do yourself a favour and click HERE!*

Don't struggle like that or I will only love you more.

What a delightful summer I had, meeting old and new friends - not all of whom have two feet! 


If the party ain't over and you still wanna groove, check out my summer 2015 and 2014 playlists! 

Here's to summer 2016: the year I discovered ursus, fell and landed.




P.S: Kalo ximona, Garfield!