Monday 17 August 2015

Monday Blues #11 Networking Tips & Tricks

During my two years gallivanting around London, I've been to an array of networking events and discovered the power of building an online presence. Here are some tips I wish I'd learned a little sooner. If you have any other tricks or funny anecdotes, please share them below!

1. BE PROACTIVE & TAKE A LEAP OF FAITH!
NR are actually on the hunt for more interns this summer, give them a bell ~ yes, you! Here's a peak at how MAGICAL my time was with the brand!

In the summer of 2013 back when I was in sixth form, I noticed Millie Mackintosh retweet a positive affirmation from an up and coming brand called 'Nutrition Rocks'. Being a foodie myself, I followed the online magazine and soon spotted a tweet in which they were looking for a summer intern. Although it was a shot in the dark, I sent over my CV/cover letter and et voilà - a week later, I was drinking champagne in Langan's with my cosmic new boss after acing the interview. Moral of the story? Apply for that job, contact someone you'd love to mentor you, bite the bullet! Even if there's no current position up for grabs, reach out to a person you respect any way as they may a) bear you in mind for the future b) pass you on to one of their connections, or even c) create a position especially for you ~ stranger things have happened!

2. ALWAYS CARRY BUSINESS CARDS AND PIZAZZ!

You don't necessarily have to spend a fortune on them, I recommend opting for moo print or D.I.Y. For my first few networking events, I made D.I.Y business cards using some old card, paint and my thumb (I finger painted daisies). Ok, I know it may sound like the handiwork of a five year old but many found them endearing and a real talking point ~ it's always great to make a lasting impression! I've seen some ladies bring baked goods, their pooch or wear an eccentric headpiece - more power to them, whatever helps you stand out! I personally like to reach for my Henry Holland cocktail jeans or lemon clutch bag before an event, definitely conversation starters. I once read that Mia Farrow always paints her dressing rooms with flowers and that Nick Grimshaw always interviews barefoot ~ a little eccentricity and flair is always welcome in my books!

Remember that sometimes you only have a New York minute with someone so it's essential to have a business card to hand and an elevator pitch! Being a writer often feels like being a one man band as you have to write your content and be your hype man, but it's all part of the fun!

3. LEAVE YOUR NERVES OUTSIDE!

I understand that it's (A LOT) easier said than done, but don't let your bundle of nerves hold you back. I once read a quote that really stuck with me "I'd rather live a life of "oh wells" than a life of "what ifs"! If you're nervous about approaching someone, try to realise that chances are they're just as nervous as you to be there ~ some people are just better at hiding it! Here's an icebreaker tip: if you're at an event, grab two drinks, wait until you notice that the person you want to approach is running low on a drink and swoop to their rescue!

4. BE SPONTANEOUS!

If you live in a big city and are tech savvy, chances are you may often hear of events last minute. Be a yes person and ready to get your groove on at the drop of a hat. A brilliant piece of advice I once heard is to always keep red lipstick in your pencil case! Likewise, if you ever get chatting to someone who could help you career wise, or bump into someone you admire, approach them ~ if you don't ask, the answer will always be no.

5. YOUR VIBE ATTRACTS YOUR TRIBE!

In today's day and age, most people have twitter and linkedin accounts, utilise these platforms. If you want to be a writer, write a blog and link it in all your social media platforms. If you want to work for a magazine, grab said magazine, find the contributors page and follow whichever employees you respect and admire. Before you know it, opportunities will arise and it'll be your time to shine.

 Last winter, I saw Company Magazine tweet that they were having a free pop up shop at Beyond Retro in Shoreditch, the only catch was that there was a limited amount of tickets available. I luckily managed to read the tweet early, earn a spot and that weekend exchanged business cards with the editor, Victoria White, and head stylist, Laura Martin. A few weeks later, Laura tweeted around 11pm that she needed help with a shoot the following morning... seven hours later, I was running around London with a suitcase collecting clothes and assisting a photoshoot! I got a glimpse of the Alexander Wang x H&M collection weeks before its public release and worked alongside a phenomenal makeup artist, Alexis Day, who worked backstage at Burberry's LFW(!) Opportunists are waiting for us all, we just have to take initiative and have an open mind!

Before I love you and leave you, I just thought I'd share Megan's blog post with her tips specifically about getting your foot in the fashion industry door. I particularly LOVED her Henry Holland / Jelly Beans tip!


Be bold, be daring, but always be yourself!