Monday 3 August 2015

InterRailing/Backpacking Tips & Tricks

Last summer I embarked on a magical interrailing adventure with eight of my closest friends. We hit up Budapest, Warsaw, Berlin and Amsterdam. Here are the individual blog posts from each city, for anyone curious: B / W / B / A.

I thought that as summer is finally upon us (YAY!) I'd share a few tips we learned along the way. Also, if you haven't booked a summer getaway as of yet and are lost for ideas, interailing may be for you!

First things first, I was going to cover packing. However, it has been months since my trip and my memory is a little fuzzy. I have, however, done a little research and found that these two (1 & 2) blog posts are SUPER HANDY! My key advice is if, like us, you have a few tedious train journeys, make sure you pack a bloody book. I know space is limited in your backpack, but trust me, you'll thank me on your 14 hour journey! Remember, an idle mind is the devils playground.

Bookshop in Budapest / Caitanya's doodles in Moondust 

Also, it can't be said enough to be anal about keeping your travel documents and passport safe - one of my friends unfortunately realised he'd left his passport in his pocket one afternoon in Budapest when we got caught in a rainstorm. Make sure a morning trip to the British Embassy in Hungary doesn't crop up on your trip! Whilst we're on the subject of nasty surprises - REMEMBER TO FILL IN YOUR INTERRAILING TICKET BEFORE YOU GET ON THE TRAIN. A friend of mine was fined 38 euro for not, which when you're already living on a low budget is a kick in the teeth!

Ooo one thing that somehow doesn't appear in either of the two blog post links above is to remember to pack a microfiber towel - trust me, this is essential! It may also seem a lil ostentatious, but with hindsight I wish I'd have bought a portable phone charger. It's also worth noting that if (unlike me) you're a light sleeper, don't forget to pack a pair of earplugs as when hostel hopping, they'll be worth their weight in gold :-)

If you do pack a portable phone charger, I recommend downloading some episodes to pass the time on night trains. I opted for charmed (obvs)! Joke and quiz books are also endless fun when you're sleep deprived/hungover/delirious!

My genius friend Lizzie advised me to take an extension lead on my trip as I was travelling in a big group, so that we could all charge at the same time and would only need to pack one plug adaptor! Speaking of travelling in big groups, keeping all important info (hostel dates, budgets, flight numbers...) via googledocs is the way forward. If you're all on a tight budget, cooking soups and carb based meals is the solution - we'd often split the price of meals and it would work out 20p per person!

Oli rustling up one of his AMAZING dishes for us!

If you're with your girl gang, bring a compact mirror!! Sharing a mirror whilst you're tipsily applying make up for a night out with five others is difficult... the struggle was real! Also, if you're trying to transition an outfit from day2night in the blink of an eye ~ add a slick of red lipstick and wear your jacket like a cape... et voilà!

When it comes to hostels, we scoured hostelworld - their app is fab! Remember to also be wary of any that are too cheap -if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! Here's a mini list of hostels I've visited and would thoroughly recommend:  
Budapest ~ Interflat Hostel
Warsaw ~ Moon Hostel
Amsterdam ~ The Flying Pig Uptown Hostel

Here are some other funky hostels dotted around the world to spark your wanderlust. This Buzzfeed/Facebook thread is also worth bookmarking!

Happy campers in Budapest!

Try and keep a record of your days - whether that'd be via diary entries, keeping hold of receipts/tickets or taking countless photos. I personally stuffed my backpack with miscellaneous tickets and stuck them in my diary when I returned to blighty - they trigger different memories when I flick through them. I also wrote blog posts for each city to immortalise my trip!

One of my favourite wanderlust quotes is:
"The afternoon knows what the morning never suspected. - Robert Frost
Throughout your trip, step outside your comfort zone and be a yes person. Although the idea of cycling for the first time in ten years on German roads sounded petrifying, I didn't let it hold me back. In the words of Tina Fey (all hail), just say yes and figure it out afterwards! In the same vein, immerse yourself in the country's culture and try the local delicacies.


Hungarian bakery / Ethan trying Polish lody / Eating at a milk bar in Warsaw (mmm pierogi)

If you're going to a country with mosquitoes - fenistil gel is your best friend! It may also sound a lil random, but one of the best pieces of travel advice I've ever read is to always pack a sarong. They can be used as a towel, bed sheet, picnic blanket, screen for privacy... A disposable camera always goes down a treat too (fyi, superdrug sell them for just £3 a pop!)

If you're a bit of a culture vulture like myself, engross yourself in any movies/novels/art/poetry linked to the corners of the world you're visiting and you'll be greeted with an extra buzz of electric when you arrive.

Writing postcards over brunch in Budapest / Hungarian letterbox

As an islander, I understand how much local businesses rely on reviews online and as a traveller, I know that trip advisor is always my first port of call when visiting a new city. Having said that, I though I'd note that it's a nice idea to leave reviews once you're back from your trip as a) it's good karma to help out fellow wanderers and b) if (like us) you could seldom afford to leave tips, it's a new age way of giving back! :-)

Stick to your budget. Send postcards - though don't be surprised if they arrive two weeks after you're back home! Pack a bikini, even if you're going in the thick of winter. Travel insurance is not a cost you can afford to cut, it's a necessity ~ insure and go has always been a winner for me. Utilise your hostel's front desk and the wealth of leaflets they behold - pubcrawls and free walking tours are a must-do in each city!

Free walking tour meeting spot in Budapest

Remember to maintain a level of respect and decorum with other cultures traditions and values. For instance, if you're visiting a sacred temple, bring a shawl to cover yourself. Or if you're at a memorial, don't take selfies - you'd be amazed horrified at the amount of people I cringed at taking wildly inappropriate photos at the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe in Berlin. There's a time and place for everything!

The Little Insurgent Monument, Warsaw / Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, Berlin

When it comes to buying souvenirs and gifts for the familia, bare in mind that anything delicate will get squashed in your backpack and that you have to lug them around for the rest of the trip. Stick to mini gizmos like flag pins/patches, magnets, keyrings, cheap/endearing earrings...

German candy / Hungarian paprika and blueflower seeds

When you're hostel hopping, it's easy to make friends as everyone is in the same boat - remember: "strangers are just friends you haven't met yet". Try to help others out where you can and offer advice: if you see some new kids moving in as you're leaving, offer some advice on the city as you pack. On my first morning in Budapest, I met a delightful German couple in the kitchen who were dashing for a train and left us their remaining food! Instead of binning your box of cereal/milk, give it to the poor sods in the corner reaching into the depths (black hole) of their backpack for loose change!

Funky bar called Cześć in Warsaw

Finally, I just thought I'd share this candid photo I took on our first day in Berlin that I cherish. We'd just embarked on a gruelling six hour train from Warsaw and were on route to our new hostel. 

Remember: It's not where you are, but who you're with that really matters!


 If you have any advice or anecdotes, please comment below 
~ don't be a stranger!



P.S: Drunk selfies are the best, take lots of 'em...