Tuesday 19 February 2013

Blooming Bakery #2 Sunshine Soup (Monday blues #2)

Hi Petals! Sorry my Monday blues is a day late - I'm down in London at my dad's with my cousin Livvy! She's never been here before so I've taken it upon myself to show her the ins and outs of London. We've been up and out at the break of dawn every morning... at this rate, she'll know it like the back of her hand by Sunday!

I thought I'd jazz up this week's Monday blues with a 'soupa' simple, healthy, yet yummy recipe - perfect if you're in need of a little pick me up!  If you want, you could even make your week a wee bit easier by cooking a big pot of sunshine soup on a Sunday evening and voila, you have yourself a go-to meal for the rest of the week :-) Kick back with a box-set of friends and your evening's sorted!

I actually stumbled upon this recipe whilst I was flicking through one of my dads Nigella Lawson cookbooks - 'Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home'! The name instantly caught my eye, as it sounds like a soup right out of a Roald Dahl book, but the key ingredients (peppers and sweetcorn) sounded intriguing! I love how it can also pass as an autumnal and summer soup...


pg 78

Ingredients list:
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 orange peppers
- 2 teaspoons of garlic oil
- 1 litre vegetable or chicken stock (good-quality powder, cube or concentrate)
- 500g frozen sweetcorn niblets
- salt and pepper, to taste

Serves: 4


Gather all your ingredients and preheat the oven to 250c (gas mark 9)

Remove the core, seeds and white membrane from the peppers. Cut them into strips and drizzle with garlic oil, before placing them shiny-side up in the oven. Leave them roasting for 25 minutes.

 Next, pour 1 litre of freshly boiled water into a pot and add the stock of your choice. Then, add the frozen sweetcorn, bring them to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and let them boil for about 20 minutes.



Add the roasted peppers to the stock...

Blend everything together and season to taste.

And there you have it, your sunshine soup is ready to serve!

I hope you're all having a lovely week! Just to let you know, I'll be posting all London shenanigans next week! :-)

What's your favourite comfort food?