Wednesday 31 December 2014

Mele Kalikimaka

Good morning Petals!

I hope you all had the most marvellous and magical Christmas with your loved ones! I spent the day at my grandparents eating my body weight in parsnips and watching classic Christmas movies. The highlight had to be when my, let's say 'merry', mum attempted to mime Power Rangers during charades. I think this Instagram snap summed up the day!

Over the past few days, my guilty pleasure has been reading countless 'What  I got for Christmas' posts. As I love reading them, I thought you folks may be a wee curious as to what I found under the tree. Before I dive in, I thought I'd share the festive films I've been re-watching all December!

1. Christmas simply isn't Christmas until we're all squashed on the couch, eating quality street and singing along to The Muppets Christmas Carol! "Look close and there must be a good man inside... NAH!"

2. Hagrid lugging the Christmas tree into Hogwarts, Ron's iconic 'R' Weasley jumper... Need I say more?

3. I thought I'd throw in a Disney classic for good measure.
4. Love Actually is the ultimate Christmas film, there I said it!
...& basically any film featuring John Candy.


I mostly received skincare products, as during the winter I've amped up my daily routine to battle the harsh weather.

Since Alex Steinherr, Beauty Director at GLAMOUR magazine, recommended Danish brand Ole Henriksen's truth to go wipes about three years ago, I've sworn by them! Not only do they gently take off my make-up, but they're also bursting with vitamin C and all sorts of anti-ageing goodies...
 it's never too early to start!

As much as I used to cringe at the thought of using face wipes, some nights they're too tempting as opposed to going through my twenty minute routine. As Oscar Wilde said, "I can resist anything but temptation"! My mum bought me this 100x pack online on Black Friday for less than £20.
(I usually pay £6 for 10!!!)

My dad treated me to this Liz Earle gift set as... I've never owned any of her products! *KILL BILL SIRENS* I must be the only beauty blogger in the blogosphere to ever utter those words. The set came with a Cleanse & Polish (100ml pump), an Instant Boost Skin Tonic Spritzer (200ml) and two muslin cloths. I love the brands natural ingredients (rosemary, chamomile and eucalyptus, just to name a few) and how the pretty Tiffany blue packaging looks on my top shelf!

My Aunty Jane (hence my middle name, hence Daisy Blooming Jane) treated me to this Nivea gift set, which includes my favourite almond oil day cream and macadamia nut oil hand cream. Happy bunny!

Last month, whilst I was at the Greek airport, I stocked up on Korres products. Attached to some of the shower gels, were samples of their cult 'Wild Rose 24-Hour Moisturising & Brightening Cream'. I recently read in an interview that Vanessa Hudgens always uses a rose day cream, as she believes that the power of the roses seeps into her skin. I happened to mention this to my mum and what did I find under the tree...

For almost a year now, I've been using agave nectar as a substitute for sugar and have definitely noticed that I'm a lot less prone to breakouts. As I'm about to run out again, my Dad has treated me to a new 500ml bottle, which is so huge that I've had to warn the whole family not to mistake it for shampoo!

I think it's fair to say that everyone and their dog received Lena Dunham's 'Not That Kind of Girl' this Christmas and I was no exception! I can't wait to dig into this on my long train journeys back and forth to London and gorge on all her nuggets of wisdom, word by word. I'm also a wee obsessed with this photo Lena posted on Boxing day in this pink get up, brimming with images of Samantha Jones in power suits. Next Christmas I'm asking for that and Lamby!
I don't know about you, but I have a new desktop background!

My mum also bought me Elle (US) December issue with RiRi on the cover.
Behold...
As this post is already going to be enormous, I think I'll dedicate a 'Brew Break' to this magazine next week. Every single photograph, concept and outfit in Rihanna's editorial deserves a post of its own!

I also listened to Donna and treated myself to this colourful Anthropologie mug, which is the definition of CUTE.

(...fine leather goods.)


My mum also treated me to three new a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e baubles! (Although I've been asked more than once why we have a Blackpool tower bauble...)

My brother Billy and his girlfriend Beth bought me these bath goodies from the Manchester Christmas markets, they know me so well! In the box, there's a mix of bath bombs and hippie soaps, which smell obscenely good. My brother told me they spent a good half hour sniffing a multitude of scents, to pinpoint which one's I'd love, which was so so thoughtful! 

There was a business card inside, so I did a little digging online to find out each potions elements. I can't wait to use the bright yellow 'lemongrass and tea tree' soap and the 'soap filled sponge', which according to the lady at the market "lasts two months... or two years if you're a student!"

The family run business is called 'Pure Indulgence Soaps', if anyone from the North-West is interested! :-)
Charming!

My brother, being a goldsmith like my father, always treats me to a new pair of earrings every Christmas... he really does spoil me! This year I received these dainty cross earrings, which have been glued to my ears all week!

Talking Writing of jewellery, my mum picked me up this sweet handmade turquoise ring when she recently went to a friends jewellery night... 

As one of my mum's presents, I actually bought us matching mugs! As we're often apart and spend hours on the phone drinking copious cups of tea, I thought these monogrammed Anthropologie mugs were too cute to not pick up!

Last, but certainly not least, every year my mum buys me a fancy set of thank you cards... it's all about the gratitude attitude!
(Do I sound like a Spice Girl?)

Here's a photo I recently stumbled across of my brother, my mother and I at the Manchester Christmas markets last winter. At this point, I had mulled wine running through my veins!
Merry Christmas from my family to yours!





P.S: For those wondering, Mele Kalikimaka isn't Greek... it's actually a Hawaiian Christmas song that my mum and I hum incessantly!