Sunday 1 March 2015

Film Focus #1 Moon River

(White Rabbit. White Rabbit. White Rabbit.)

The first time I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's, I was fourteen and your average teenager: a bag of nerves, a different person every morning, and overall, a hot mess. I vividly remember being doe-eyed like its protagonist Holly Golightly and afraid to blink, as I didn't want to miss a millisecond. The moment it ended, I watched it all over again and so began the love affair. I know it's painfully predictable for a blogger to cite this as their favourite flick, but trust me - it's cliché for a reason!


If you have no plans today, or even if you do, I implore you watch Breakfast at Tiffany's; whether it's for the first, or hundredth time.
If this film was a day, it'd be a Sunday.


Where do I begin?
The iconic bathtub couch, nameless cat, mailbox prep station (complete with mirror, lipstick and perfume), cracker jack ring, chic pyjama accessories, Holly's calligraphy, the infamous Givenchy LBD, matching trench coats, "So what? So plenty!", milk drunk from a champagne flute...

UNSUNG HERO.

I've always dreamed of attending this soirée with these crazy cats...



If you're reading this in the future ~ oOoOo ~ and Halloween is looming, here's Lisa Eldridge's brilliant Holly Golightly makeup tutorial!


Can we please take a moment to gaze at George Peppard? 


Besides Gone with the Wind, Breakfast at Tiffany's is arguably the most important movie in fashion to date. Here's an in depth post about the ins and outs of the the famous costumes.

"And I always heard people in New York never get to know their neighbours." - PV



There was actually an adaptation of Breakfast at Tiffany's at the Court Theatre in New York two years ago, with Mother of Dragons Emilia Clarke as Holly. I almost flew across the pond just to see it (well, any excuse to visit the big apple), but was lucky enough to work for Nutrition Rocks that summer instead. I'm hoping that the production will make its way to London whilst I'm living here for uni - although no one can hold a candle to Audrey.


Funnily enough, I frequently listen to the movie's beautiful score whilst writing blog posts. There's something so soothing and nostalgic about it which just whisks me away and gets inspiration pumping through my veins.
If the original Moon River is a little too tepid for you, here's Aretha Franklin's jazzy version just for you. It also wouldn't make sense to not include Louis Armstrong's rendition that melts my heart & who could possibly forget that scene in SATC where Carrie and Big sway to Moon River?

Just before the heartbreaking (it gets me every time) 'CAAAT' scene, Holly applies lipstick whilst in the taxi to the airport to catch her flight to Brazil. I've discovered that this lipstick is Revlon's Pink in the Afternoon. The name is inspired by Hepburn's 1957 movie Love in the Afternoon.
"A girl can't read that sort of thing without her lipstick." - HG

I recently had a serious case of the mean reds and took refuge in my own 'Breakfast at Tiffany's': I nipped into Boots and treated myself to a new lipstick. It only seemed right to buy this timeless shade, which was especially formulated for Audrey.

It certainly worked its magic!

“You call yourself a free spirit, a “wild thing,” and you’re terrified somebody’s gonna stick you in a cage. Well baby, you’re already in that cage. You built it yourself. And it’s not bounded in the west by Tulip, Texas, or in the east by Somali-land. It’s wherever you go.
Because no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself.” - PV


Bon Week-end! 
Your Huckleberry friend,