Tuesday 17 March 2015

From Crystal Palace to The Palace of Westminster

A few weeks ago, an unexpected and enticing email popped into my inbox. Before I tell you who it was from, let's rewind back to September 2013 for a moment. During the freshers fair on my first day of uni, I signed up to a multitude of societies - from the Hindu society, badminton club (I went once) to the student magazine. Groups were tempting fresh meat with all sorts: free Nando's chicken? I'm yours! Free drinks at spoons? Where do I sign up? You get the idea...

One group in the freshers fair tent was My Life My Say, where I was coaxed by a packet of haribo - I'm a student, I can't afford morals.


Jump back to last month and the email was from the group inviting me to their question time style panel event at the Houses of Parliament. As much as I like to keep up to date on current political affairs, I never thought I'd actually get to experience Parliament first hand. It was an exclusive event to Greenwich students and an offer I couldn't refuse. Two days later, I found myself wandering around Westminster asking tourists if they knew where the entrance was - I got some funny looks.

Although London has been my third home for just over a decade, I still get butterflies when I walk by the London Eye and hear Big Ben chime. It may be "just a clock" to some, but to me it'll always be the nostalgic place where Wendy first caught a glimpse of the second star to the right.
(FYI: When in doubt, think of a mermaid lagoon underneath a magic moon!)


After perambulating for a good half hour, I found myself edging closer towards the entrance in a queue full of fancy nancy's. Once in, we went through airport style security, before each being given a visitors pass - which now hangs proudly in my mum's bedroom. (AWWW)


The best way I can describe entering the palace of Westminster is how imagine it to be entering the TARDIS. I mean, I know it looks big from outside, but inside it's humongous! Sky high ceilings, decadent chandeliers, wall to wall pieces of art... it was phenomenal!



The event was primarily to launch the groups latest campaign #BETHECHANGE, in which they hope to start a wave amongst the younger generation through social media to inspire us to vote. The idea is that we share what we would do as prime minster for the day - and fingers crossed this platform opens up discussions and a new-found audience.

Microphones float in the air as candles do in the Great Hall at Hogwarts!

The question time style event saw the panel, consisting of a range of political commentators, take questions from twitter and the audience regarding the key issues in the run up to the upcoming general elections. The evening was filled with fascinating debates and opened my eyes to my peers frustrations and angst. The main discussions concerned education, health and (un)employment.


The panel:
Tom Newton Dunn - The political editor of The Sun.
Tom Mludzinski - Head of political polling at ComRes.
Prof Andrew Russell - Head of Politics Department at the University of Manc.
Mems Ayinla - #BETHECHANGE Ambassador and a young Question Time panellist.
Sunny Hundal - British Journalist, blogger and academic, has published articles at The Guardian, The Financial Times and The Independent.

Chair:
Kenny Imafidon - Special advisor on youth policy.


I was slightly apprehensive about the night as I thought I may be a bit out of my depth, but to my surprise the atmosphere was very relaxed and there were quite a few comedians in the room, which instantly diffused the occasional hot topic. 

Not sure how I feel about being part of the selfie-stick generation.


One of the countless paintings and chandeliers dotted around the palace!


DON'T FORGET TO REGISTER TO VOTE and make your voice heard! My Nana has always encouraged me to vote and reminds me every year around this time that women died for my right to vote, it's incumbent that I use it! 

Standing beneath a cosmic chandelier / St.Stephen's Basilica vibes

If you're absolutely, positivity, adamant that you will not be voting, as you don't think any of the parties cater to you, don't just sit around - go to the polling station, put a cross through the whole ballot paper and write your thoughts - or get involved in local political events and express your concerns. Be proactive - it's your future after all!

I'll leave you with this hauntingly beautiful hall, which was the last photograph I took during my time at the Houses of Parliament. I think this text from my friend Beth sums up how surreal the night was...






If this post was right up your street, you might be interested in a four part series that recently ran on BBC2 called Inside the Commons. I've been swamped in uni deadlines recently (what's knew?), but will be watching it in the foreseeable future. According to my Nana, it's utterly riveting! :-)