Friday 6 March 2015

Fashion: A/W 15 NY LDN (turn to the left)

Unless you've been living under a rock, you'll know that catwalk, fashion week and Paris are on everyone's lips right now. I absolutely adore getting glimpses of what will be on trend in the future and watching designers innovative costumes unfold on the catwalks.

I thought I'd share some of my favourite moments from the past few weeks. I'll stick with New York/London in this post and tackle Milan/Paris next week, otherwise I'll be burning the midnight oil and my blog will turn into a book! Get ready for some serious drooling...

NEW YORK

It all began in New York, where the pinnacle was undoubtedly Proenza Schouler. I'm obsessed with the clashing textures and tribal influences.



A close second has to be Tory Burch's phenominal collection, brimming with burgundy, tapestries and groovy Moroccan vibes...



I have to say, you can always rely on Zac Posen for a delightful show!

QUEEN!

I've gushed about my love for kooky Adam Selman before, there's a reason Rihanna has him on speed dial!
Source / Iconic

I'm also really digging these quirky pieces by Rosie Assoulin, I can totally see edgy folks like Solange rocking this...

Need to get me a pair of these statement flower earrings!

It wouldn't feel right to exclude Kanye West's Adidas collection. My opinion on Kanye rocks back and forth on a weekly basis, one minute I'm grimacing listening to him refer to himself as Jesus, the next I'm in awe working out to my beautiful dark twisted fantasy. I think the only logical explanation is he must be from the future! The truth is, I actually quite liked his collection - I thought it was edgy and futuristic.


My friend Amy walked past Kanye at Central Saint Martins on Tuesday and later that day, another friend Jay caught his Koko gig... lucky buggers! Jay managed to record All Day - I can't get over how intimate the gig was, I can't wait for our lunch date so I can grill her about it!

You've got to admit... North is one hell of a cutie pie!


LONDON

That was a nice transition jumping across the pond, don't you think?

In news that will surprise absolutely no one, Burberry Prorsum's electric Patchwork, Pattern & Prints show stole the week for me. Last season I fell head over heels in love with The Birds and The Bees (SS 15) collection. Burberry tends to stick with its ubiquitous British charm - if it ain't broke don't fix it - but this show screamed Pocahontas meets the 70's. Inspired!





CHRISTOPHER KANE IS A GENIUS!


I remember back in the 90's for my mother's birthday one year in Corfu, she received a hippie bag adorned with Indian Shisha Embroidery, similar to the ones featured heavily in this show. I'll definitely be swinging by a certain little shop when I'm next on the island...


Naturally, the front row was home to fashion royalty...

Kate and Mario

Cara and Jourdan
Move over Stuart Weitzman, I want these killer boots! 

The always ethereal and charming Lena Perminova.

From one Russian icon to another - you guys know my love for Mira by now. 

Kane's shows are renowned for being as much about the fashion as they are the music. Previous show favourites of mine have to be Tom Odell's haunting/spine chilling rendition of Another Love (S/S 13 Corsets and Capes show) and whimsical Misty Miller's dreamy take on Happy Together (A/W 13 Trench Kisses show).

This season saw the return of the enchanting Clare Maguire, who we last saw at the Menswear show. To hear her sing is one thing, but to watch her perform is another: Clare emits serious Stevie Nicks 80's possessed welsh witch vibes - probably the best compliment I'll ever give. She also performed  House of The Rising Sun, which went down a storm and the finale was a cosmic cover of  George Harrison's (none other than my favourite Beatle) My Sweet Lord (none other than my favourite song of all time). Clare's raspy voice + George's celestial words + astounding costumes + glitter rain = a LFW moment for the books.

Can we take a sec to admire this video Mira took of these cool kids jamming?!

Matthew Williamson's collection was also exceedingly good - I LOVE the lilac, mustard yellow, hot pink and turquoise colour scheme and silk fabric...




If you're a fan of Margot Tenenbaum, you're a fan of Shrimps! Last season I was infatuated with their ShrimpsxPoplin doodles, as was Alexa Chung...
(Although, I personally had a hankering for the kimono version... swoon!)

This time round, it's all about a modern, technicolour dream!

How stunning does my snapchat sister Neelam look?! 

One of the (COUNTLESS) reasons I love seeing fashion week through the eyes of a blogger is because they often go to underground shows that receive less press. For instance, here's a glimpse of Molly Goddard's weird and wonderful collection snapped by Susie Bubble...
Vogue describe Molly's world as when Barbie and The Spice Girls met ASOS!

Another offbeat designer I discovered through the enigma that is Pandora Sykes' was Barabara Casasola...

I LOVE the quirky and colourful fringe!


I'll be writing a post next week about my top five bloggers to follow during fashion week!

In the meantime, if you want your fashion week fix, there's only one place to go: (unsurprisingly) Vogue. The level of detail they share from each show is like no other - best of the best. I also love reading Suzy Menkes' day by day accounts! Here's some groovy backstage shots they have from my neck of the woods, London...

Topshop Unique

Erdem

Giles
(Note to self: Black lipstick is for life, not just for Halloween!)

Vivienne Westwood Red Label


(My favourite outfit from her wackydooda collection!)

Is this not the most beautiful portrait you've ever seen of Viv?!  ^-^

Christopher Kane

Dazed is also my go-to for all things a little more... je ne sais quoi!
(Junya Watanabe's funky collection, for those wondering)

I'll be back next week to cover my Milan and Paris highlights - a certain image popped up on my Insta feed a few moments ago... we're in for a treat!


Which show was your favourite and which trends are you looking forward to most? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the latest collections!