Sunday 23 December 2012

Last minute stocking filler ideas...

With Christmas looming, I thought a "last minute stocking filler ideas" first post seemed fitting. I'm sure I'm not the only one still rummaging for little bits and bobs. As I've just come down from the north to spend Christmas with my dad, everything's been a bit hectic. But, alas, my Christmas 2012 shopping is officially done and dusted... HALLELUJAH.

As my dad lives in South-East London, my last minute goodies were found in either Crystal Palace or Bromley and range from £1.50 to £8. It just goes to show, it's not necessarily the amount of money you spend on your friends and family, but the thought that's gone into it. My best advice is to buy them something that is personal and shows that you've been listening. Whether that's a movie you both went to see at the cinema together or perhaps their favourite childhood novel.

Keyring, £4.99 (South of the river, Crystal Palace)

Card £2, Magnet £2, Baboushka notebook £5 (Glitter & Twisted, Crystal Palace)

I actually bought a bunch of these thank you cards to send out in January. I thought it was a sweet way to say thank you for my gifts (as well as learn how to say thank you in a bunch of different languages). Cute AND educational!

Tote bag, £3.50 (Cancer research) 

I will warn you ladies, if you buy this you'll be humming Eliza Doolittles 'Pack Up' wherever you go... but is that really a bad thing?

Classic childrens book, £6.99 (Bookseller crow on the hill, Crystal Palace)

I think a really thoughtful idea is to buy their favourite childhood book or even use Google to figure out if there's a funny book with their name in the title! My dad actually bought this for me as an early Christmas present, (and as Quentin Blake's my favourite illustrator).

Hangover coffee & sweets, £3.50 each (Whittard)

I thought these were quite novelty stocking fillers for my friends. Also, Whittard currently has a 3 for 2 offer on quite a lot of products, so I ended up getting a second tin of hangover sweets for free!

Stevie Wonder & The Carpenters vinyls, £1 each (The British Heart Foundation)

It's worth rooting in your local charity shops for these hidden gems, I mean at £1 a pop, you really can't go wrong. I managed to find these for my dad, but I know I'll be jamming out tonight to Stevie whilst wrapping presents!

The Alchemist, £1.50 (The British Heart Foundation)

Whilst on my Christmas pursuit, I stumbled upon this copy of Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist (one of my favorite books). Whilst flicking through it, I noticed that the previous owners bookmark was an 'Abu Simbel' tour ticket from Egypt. Now, anyone whose read the book knows that it follows a man in hope of reaching the Egyptian pyramids!! Ah, the beauty of charity shop finds...

Kodak cameras, usually £8 each (Boots)

I always find that disposable cameras are a great fail safe gift, whatever the occasion! I also always get mine from Boots as they usually have a 'buy one get one free' offer. I'm not exactly sure how long this deal is for, as I actually remember them having it when I went in July for my holiday cameras!

So, Good luck folks and... Merry Christmas Eve Eve!