Tuesday 11 July 2017

Style Crush #10 The Costumes Of Eiko Ishioka

It's been a minute since I've posted a #stylecrush, so I thought I'd come back with a bang and explore the inimitable work of Japanese Oscar award winning costume designer, Eiko Ishioka.


I was first introduced to Eiko's work when I saw Francis Ford Coppola's 1992 Bram Stocker's Dracula. Just thinking about the opening sequence gives me goosebumps. The eerie score, the battle scene silhouettes, the despair...



Apparently Eiko was inspired by frilled neck lizards for this iconic costume. 

The illusion of gore on Dracula's armour is unreal.


One of the reasons why this depiction of Dracula is so unsettling is because it rejects clichés. The oldest emotion known to mankind is fear - the strongest kind of fear is of the unknown.




This Byzantine tunic was inspired by Gustav Klimt's The Kiss.


One of my favourite scenes is where Lucy is entranced and drapes her billowing dress over a statue. There's something so erotic and sinister about that scene where she's walking through the maze.


Eiko first landed on Francis' radar when he watched Mishima, which she was the art director of:



One of Eiko's final contributions was to Mirror Mirror starring mega babe Lily Collins. You can clearly see the contrast from her earlier, more Gothic work compared to these playful fairy tale creations.











If you haven't already, I implore you to watch The Fall. Trust me on this one.









#squadgoals






How sick is Mickey Rourke's helmet in Immortals?!


If you want nightmares, here is a clip from The Cell

...There's someone behind you ;-)





Who are some of your favourite costume designers?