Saturday 7 May 2016

Bibbidi-Bobbidi Bits & Bobs #14

It's been so long -

and I've been putting out fire

WITH GASOLIIIIIINE

- since my last BBB&B post that my notebook is overflowing. So much has happened and unfortunately it's not all shooting stars and daffodils. We recently lost another national treasure, Alan Rickman, which still stings every time I remember. Although he had many magnificent roles, growing up part of the HP generation means he'll always be Snape to me...  


This was one of the final projects Alan worked on before his untimely death...



1946 - Always

It's been revealed that a constellation, consisting of seven stars within the vicinity of Mars, that forms the iconic 'Aladdin Sane' lightening bolt will be named as such. What a poignant tribute to the Starman.

In the aftermath of Bowie's departure there have been many documentaries about his legacy on the TV in the UK. Whilst watching one from 1974 I saw David explain a unique cut up technique which he used as inspiration to write songs. I've since dabbled with this quirky method with my poetry and am thrilled with the bizarre streets it's led me down. If there's any fellow writers out there, have a bounce on this trampoline and see where you land!


Another groovy writing tip that I picked up from the magical kidlit author Laura Dockrill is to have a moodboard of words every morning to get your creative juices flowing...


I'm currently on the island of Corfu visiting my grandmother for Pasxa so have been brushing up on my Greek. In doing so I've reignited my reverence and passion for etymology. Here are a few adorable idioms from around the world...





I'm hoping to write a post about effective tricks for learning a foreign language, as I have a lot up my sleeve that I'd love to share! A couple of my favourite wackydooda Greek idioms are saying  " I've lost my eggs and baskets" when you don't know what's going on. Also instead of describing somewhere as far away, it's "by the devil's mother"... we don't know why either.

For any fellow fashion fiends, here are a few outfits I've spotted recently that have caught my eye. Diane Kruger is a goddess in this custom made Prada gown ~ the powder blue makes her eyes pop! 


How divine is Olivia Wilde's Valentino gown and veil that she wore to the NYC Vinyl premiere?! I'm looking forward to binge watching this 70's rock and roll series, which is created by Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger. Olivia describes her role as being "a little Edie Sedgwick, she’s a little Marianne Faithfull, she’s a little Bianca Jagger, she’s a little Jerry Hall; she’s kind of amazing and complex and she’s way cooler than I could ever dream of being".... sounds right up my street!


Here she is forehead to toe in Givenchy with her Vinyl costar Jimmy Jagger...


Last one I promise, how groovy is this jumpsuit Olivia wore on Jimmy Fallon?!


I read some super duper exciting news the other day! The cast of the first wives club - Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn and Diane Keaton - are returning for a Neflix original movie called Divanation. It'll follow a girl band who reunite thirty years after their volatile split. The chemistry between these ladies is gold dust so I know we're in for a treat.


(P.S: Can we please take a moment to appreciate Goldie's zany instagram page?! SHIAN!!!!)

Sorry to keep teasing you with post ideas, but I've been meaning to blog about my favourite Youtubers for many moons. Here's a taster ~ sorry to be so painfully cliché:




I LOVE the Zana Bayne leather accessories that Josephine de la Baume rocks. I feel like this choker and harness would compliment my wardrobe rather nicely.



Obsessed with Julia Hobbs' killer heel collection!

I've been on the hunt for a bomber jacket lately after seeing Olivia Palermo's killer collection.


Although we all know who the most iconic bomber belongs to...




I was recently scrolling through Tumblr - all day e'ry day - when I stumbled upon a cosmic post about a peek into the journals of sci-fi author Octavia Butler. Here's an extract: "In a notebook of hers archived at the Huntington Library, it's clear Butler had a strong vision for her future. On this page in 1988, she wrote "My books will be read by millions of people. So be it! See to it!" That's what happened - after willing her books into existence, her work is now part of the science fiction canon."


I think we can all take a leaf out of Octavia's book, be fuelled by ambition and create our own futuristic spells. So be it! See to it!

Whenever I'm blue there are a few things that always cheer me up: my beloved dog Deefa, a brew or getting lost in a movie. I've been meaning to watch the Great Gatsby lately, as hearing Leonardo Dicaprio say my name can only be a good thing. 


Anyway, for now I have a new cure...



I hope you're all having a marvellous weekend.
Wherever the crowd goes, run in the other direction - Charles Bukowski