Tuesday 14 February 2017

Miss. Lippy's Car... is Green!

A harpist was playing under my window when I awoke this morning - what a way to greet Valentine's day! 


If, like me, you don't have any extravagant plans - unless you call eating a family sized bag of popcorn to yourself as extravagant - here are some movie suggestions to sweeten your day. One lump or two?




West Side Story. My favourite film of all time. 

Just be glad you won't be watching it with me as I can't help but emotionally invest in each viewing as though it's my first, not my 4746th. Oh moon grow bright and make this endless day... endless....niiiiiighhhhtttt. 2niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii(instrumental)ght. On my birthday, my friend actually sent me a link to this ancient relic of Cher. "Ladies and gentlemen for tonight's entertainment I am proud to present West Side Story... I will be playing all the parts." 


Roman Holiday

Two star-crossed lovers. Add in a teaspoon of royalty, three drops of duplicity and - oh, you know the rest.


Une Femme Est Une Femme

A love triangle glued together by the lick of her tongue. A joy to watch both with subtitles and without.



Pierrot Le Fou

Another Jean-Luc Godard classic. Love needs to be reinvented, real life is elsewhere.




Basically any Disney film turns me to mush.


Baz Luhrmann's Romeo & Juliet


Give me my sin again.


Love Story

For some it's the notebook, for me, it's love story.


Say Anything

It is my belief that Lloyd Dobler is to blame for my lack of love life throughout high school - or so I like to tell myself. The bar was set pretty high by this sensitive kick-boxer.


A Taste Of Honey

Classic Mancunian Kitchen Sink film.


The First Wives Club

Midler, Keaton & Hawn. The dream team!


Dogfight

The movie that ignited my love for River.

I'm going to have the fucking poached salmon, with the son-of-a-bitching rice, and a dirty bastard salad with a shitload of Roquefort dressing. 

+ who knows what this asshole wants?


Pretty in Pink

This one's a little too close to home. Key word being - home.


When Harry Met Sally

The part where Carrie Fisher's character folds a rolodex card and sighs 'oh... married' is the best part of the film. Sleepless in Seattle is another Nora Ephron classic to add to the list.



Basically any early 00's JLO chick flick

Maid in Manhattan and Monster in law are always there to pick me up after a shitty day or date. Jane Fonda's performance as the egocentric mother in law from hell is hysterical.



Dirty Dancing

I still chuckle at the memory of thirteen year old me forcing everyone to watch this at my birthday sleepover. I must of said "guys, this is the best bit" thirteen times, at least.




Doctor Zhivago - Gone With The Wind - An Affair To Remember

Enduring classics that deserve the most overused word of the decade: epic.


Billy Elliot

If you're sick of chick flicks, this heartwarming classic is for you. Julie Walters' feisty character Mrs. Wilkinson speaks to my northern heart and reminds me of my relationship with my mum, who used to teach dance at my primary school. Debbie, get the 50p's!


Shrek

Oh yes, that's right - it's earned its place on the list, despite what someBODY ONCE TOLD ME...


Basically any Adam Sandler film between '95 - '04

Again - if you think today sucks and just want a decent film to watch - minus the bubblegum and arrows, I rate an A.S comedy. His recent work is painful to watch, but I grew up on his earlier work - Waterboy, Billy Madison, Mr. Deeds, Big Daddy, 50 First Dates - those all rock.


The Break Up & Along Came Polly

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I repeat

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


My Big Fat Greek Wedding

What can I say? You knew this one was coming.





Barbarella

Dare I say the most erotic movie of all. Two words: excessive machine.