Monday 11 January 2016

Bibbidi-Bobbidi Bits & Bobs #13

'Ello Poppets,

Although Christmas has been and gone, I thought I'd share a bunch of charming stories I read about during the festive break. In the metro I heard about the chaps who threw a Christmas doo during their commute - complete with cracker hats - and about the sprig of mistletoe that someone tied to a carriage on the underground. Finally, how adorable is this innovative advent calendar from my dog Deefa's groomers?!


To ring in the new year, here are two arrow-to-the-core messages that always give me goose bumps...

The Laughing Heart - Charles Bukowski

your life is your life
 don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
be on the watch.
there are ways out.
there is light somewhere.
 it may not be much light but
 it beats the darkness.
 be on the watch.
 the gods will offer you chances.
know them.
 take them.
you can’t beat death but
 you can beat death in life, sometimes.
 and the more often you learn to do it,
 the more light there will be.
 your life is your life.
 know it while you have it.
 you are marvellous
 the gods wait to delight
 in you.

& This wackydooda gem from Patti Smith...

"THE TIME TO FLOWER IS NOW"


I stumbled upon this Dazed article recently which shares Kevin Smith's low budget for his cult classic Clerks. The idea is to inspire upcoming filmmakers as the budget is fairly modest ~ I shared it on my uni's Creative Writing page as it's so encouraging.


In a similar vein, Nylon recently shared Gabrielle Demeestere's top 10 tips for making your first movie.

Speaking of filmmakers, as part of my Creative Writing degree I have to cultivate a piece of film and have free reign. Over the Christmas holidays, I've read countless scripts and been researching specific directors/writers to broaden my knowledge. 


At the moment I'm enamoured with Edgar Wright's inimitable work. You may not think you're familiar with his work - but you'd be surprised. Edgar has dabbled in cult classics such as Spaced and the infamous cornetto trilogy. Every Frame a Painting's analysis of his midas approach to directing is fascinating. I'm also digging his earlier work such as this groovy music video ~ it's pushing me to think of avant-garde ways of telling a story.


Unless you've been living under a rock, you may have read about Shia Labeouf's latest artistic venture #TOUCHMYSOUL. Say what you want about the fella, but you have to admire his eccentricity and the way his brain is wired...




Last January I wrote a blog post all about my New Year's resolutions which pushed me to conquer them as they made me accountable. This year (and every year) one of my targets is to explore new corners of the world. I'm hoping to visit some Greek friends after I graduate in April and do a lil island hopping, as well as some family friends in Scandinavia. I'd also love to go on a wee adventure around Vienna solo ~ this may or may not be so that no one has to witness in horror how many apple strudel's I can eat in one trip.

Source

This top 10 cities to visit in 2016 guide has given me serious wanderlust - they say that travel is not reward for working, it's education for living.

Another resolution of mine is to read more and explore new genres/territory. The 2016 Book Riot Read Harder challenge list is ace for anyone stuck in a reading rut. Here's a glimpse...


After a marvellous festive break, I'll be back in the big smoke next week to begin the final term of my final year of university... eshk! To start with a bang, I think I'll swing by the Cutty Sark for a silent disco and boogie under the sea - well, sea level!


& Finally I thought I'd give a quick shout-out to my cosmic former boss Hala El-Shafie who is co-hosting a brand spanking new series on Channel 4, beginning tonight at 8pm, called 'How to lose weight well'. As you guys know by now, I have so much love and time for my Nutrition Rocks family!



I hope your week is full of adventure ~ roll the dice!