Saturday 16 January 2016

Empties #4

After ten years in the big smoke, my dad recently uprooted to a charming town in the North West. Whilst tackling the mountain of boxes, I've discovered some doozies: pizza trays from the 80's when my grandparents owned a bar in Corfu called Cosmopolitan, psychedelic hand casts from Camden of my brother and I circa 2003, protest placards... it's fascinating rummaging through the abyss of knickknacks!

 
In a bid to be minimalistic, we've been consciously using up products before the big move to avoid waste. The Bruce Bogtrotter in me has had a ball crawling into the cupboards and getting lost in hundreds of teacups.
 
 
First up is a stupendous amount of honey - honestly, my love for honey could rival Winnie the Pooh's! Although tubs of Manuka tend to be quite pricey, they're brimming with more health benefits than I can count on my fingers and a pot can last for months. Take advantage of Holland & Barrett's penny sale whilst you still can - your immune system will thank you.

 
My dad's friend is a beekeeper and always extremely generous when he visits. During our last few weeks in Crystal Palace, we were practically eating honey morning, noon and night. It's such a versatile kitchen staple: swirl a teaspoon into your brews, use it as an amazing natural face mask mixed with a dot of spirulina, the list is endless!

 Cherry / Apricot Jam - Corfu - 2011

My grandmother is also always sending us home with suitcases full of jam - her infamous marmalade and cherry have to be my favourite.. I'd walk to Greece for it! Speaking of Greek produce, I can't rave about this Kallisto Kalamata balsamic vinegar with honey enough - it makes salad bearable for anyone.

 
Does your family have a cupboard just for tea, or is it just mine? One of my favourites lately has been Teapig's liquorice and peppermint. If - like me - you loathe liquorice, don't be put off as the taste is disguised. The tea has a peculiar after taste, which you'll understand if you've tried it - it's tricky to describe. Whenever I'm craving something sweet, I pop the kettle on and et voilà: craving curbed.

That's not to say I don't indulge, exhibit A...

 
Tesco currently has an offer: two Jus-Rol products for three squidaroonies! Their cinnamon swirls and pain au chocolat are scrumptious revision snacks and ludicrously easy to whip up.
 
When I was killing time before Estée Lalonde's meetup, I nipped into planet organic. I bought these Ombar buttons, which are a vegan version of Cadbury's dairy milk buttons. As their main ingredients are raw cacao and coconut cream, they're an acquired taste. I remember grimacing when I ate the first button, but now I can't get enough of them! 


Onto the wonder that is soporific tea's: I've been a lover of Dr.Stuart's tranquillity tea for many moons and have always been fascinated by the ethnobotanist's soothing blends. I've also worked my way through this Yogi tea enriched with chamomile, rosehip and fennel. The mystical fortunes attached to each teabag and yoga pose instructions on the packaging are kawaii.

 
I go through almonds like there's no tomorrow and like to buy in bulk to cut corners. Pro tip: hit up your local Middle Eastern / Cypriot deli as they tend to sell them loose and supermarkets sell large quantities around Ramadan, which is an ace time to stock up. I know, I'm a right nutter!


 Speaking of fruitcake habits, this killer answer to the Metro's 'what's the weirdest thing you've seen on the tube?' made me chortle and got me thinking of my own answer. Hastily making DIY business cards on my way to a networking event - complete with thumb printed daisies / acrylic paint - is definitely up there.


What's  your wackiest "did anyone else see that?!" moment?