Friday 15 January 2016

Film Focus #2 Even Artichokes Have Hearts

Happy Friday Crazy Cats,
 
It's been a minute since my last film focus but after re-watching this magnificent film, I just had to share it with you. Do give it a whirl if you're into the weird and wonderful.
 
 
The first time I ever watched Amélie was back in 2011 whilst I was visiting my grandmother on the island of Corfu. She lives just outside a quaint fishing village, on top of a secluded hill with - to my horror - no internet connection.

Can you imagine? Teenage me had to actually, now brace yourselves, spend my evenings interacting with my family, reading ancient dust covered books and watching black and white films; how dreadful. Of course, I'm being sarcastic. I treasure those dog days wrapped up in a different time zone, a different era, a different world.
 
 
One evening after watching BBC's 1999 adaptation of David Copperfield for the 50th time, my dear friend Louise lent me her copy of Amélie and my eyes were opened. This whimsical Parisian art house film ignited something within that, five years later, is still alight.
 
 
The flawless actors - seriously, whoever cast the enigmatic Audrey Tautou as Amélie is nothing short of a genius - tied together with Jean-Pierre Jeunet's idiosyncratic style and Yann Tiersen's timeless soundtrack created an electric alchemy of cinema. There's something so charming about the films sentiment and reminds me to look at life through the wrong end of a telescope.
 
 
When my dad and I spent New Year's in Paris back in 2012, we actually stayed in Montmartre due to my adoration for this quirky film. We also popped into the infamous Café des 2 Moulins where I opted for the crème brûlée, of course...
 
For anyone curious, here are my Paris Travel Diaries:
 
As hideously cliché as it is, I must say the soundtrack is in a league of its own and can even whisk me away to Paris when I'm curled up in Penge. I love to listen to it as I'm dashing around London or on long train journeys - one minute it adds a spring in my step and the next, it's hauntingly nostalgic. Putting the album on shuffle is emotional Russian roulette - and let me tell you, it's enrapturing.
 
Can we just take a moment to pour over this tender scene? *spoiler alert*
 
 
I read a groovy article on Buzzfeed recently, where folks shared their most uplifting movies and this eccentric film was a contender. "Amélie really helps me through anything. ANYTHING. If you're upset it helps perk you up, if you feel like a weirdo it makes it not feel like a bad thing, if you had a bad break-up there's that weird recorder guy that you can be glad isn't your ex. It's just good for all ills."Lee Jenkinson hit the nail on the head.
 
 
 Let your freak flag fly!