Friday 24 May 2019

It's Barbaric, But Hey, It's Home

Last night my man and I saw the highly anticipated Aladdin on its opening night. Like most 90's kids, I grew up during the era of Aladdin, Tarzan, Hercules & Mulan, all of which I still remember every lyric to and cherish watching w my brother, Billy. I also adored The Emperor's New Groove, but after my bumbag was stolen in Piccadilly Gardens Manchester in 2003, which had a deep sea diver (fiver £5) and ENG game in, it became a sore subject  :,(


I also remember when I was 8 my brother's godfather, Yianni, took us to the best toy shop in Corfu town, Tsoris. He said we could pick anything and I legged it to Princess Jasmine's Castle which I'd been fawning over all summer:



Disney did a remarkable job of bringing Agrabah to life, the visuals were so captivating and vibrant.





I must admit, Guy Ritchie did a truly spectacular job and exceeded all expectations. Given that I grew up associating Guy with Lock, Stock, I was a little sceptical when I first heard he was directing, but he aced it! The casting was also spot on ~ it's no surprise that Will Smith's infectious joy stole the show, but Princess Jasmine's confidante Dalia also shined. You may recognise Nasim Pedrad, as funny enough back in 2012 during SNL's Housewives of Disney sketch, Nasim played Princess Jasmine!!




Princess Jasmine had a staggering 10 outfit changes throughout the film, thanks to renowned costume designer Michael Wilkinson. From elegant royal gowns, to the citizens of Agrabah's humble salwar kameez, the bold costumes were a feast for the eyes.



I was walking through the Eaton centre (shopping mall) in Toronto recently and it seemed that most windows were adorned with Aladdin merch. MAC have jumped on the hype and created this darling Princess Jasmine collection:


As usual my IG explore feed is full of cakes - this is a no judgement zone, right?!
How magnificent is this cave of wonders cake :O


I adore the variety of gowns Naomi Scott has worn to each premiere on the purple carpet: Off-White in Paris, Brandon Maxwell in LA, Armani in Jordan, Valentino in Berlin and ofc Burberry in London.

LA

Leicester Square, London UK


Berlin

Jordan

Paris


Call me old fashioned, but as Jasmine is arguably the most sultry Disney Princess and given today's digital age where there's a rapidly declining sense of decorum imo, I'm so relived that her depiction oozed polished poise, dignity and class. It is, after all, a children's film - so a level of naivety and innocence intact in characters is to be expected.


Genuflect, show some respect down on one knee...


If you too grew up in the 90's, I wholeheartedly recommend you go see this for the ultimate nostalgia trip. You're in for a treat!