Tuesday 7 May 2019

MAMBO!

I'm sure I've mentioned countless times that West Side Story is my absolute favourite film of all time. When my mum moved to Greece, this was the only VHS she brought with her and we used to play it every single day. To this very day, my brother and I remember every line, lyric & beat from the movie! Growing up in a remote village on Corfu island, we lived on the periphery of the periphery, where all we had was each other, an endless supply of lemons and west side story. I wouldn't have had it any other way! 


Disney just announced that they'll be releasing a remake next winter and I have so many mixed feelings :O As the original is faultless, I do hope that they simply aim to revive it, not recreate it. You can't possibly bottle the chemistry the cast and crew had in the original back in 1961. However Lord knows I'll be there on opening night and singing along lol! To celebrate the news, here's an editorial from Vanity Fair back in 2009 shot by Mark Seliger:








Anita: JLO
Maria: Camilla Belle
Bernardo: Rodrigo Santoro
Riff: Chris Evans
Tony: Ben Barnes