Saturday 10 December 2016

Mega Motley Crew Christmas Gift Guide

Ayup!


I'll be the first to admit that over the past three years my Christmas gifts have been rather unconventional. Living and studying in London costs a pretty penny and I often struggled cobbling money together to make the train back north for the holidays, let alone spoiling my loved ones. There's a hilarious meme floating round that sums it up perfectly: Christmas shopping is hard when your mum deserves an island but all you can afford is a scented candle. My family and I have a tradition of writing daft poems in each others cards which we read aloud Christmas eve. Alas, this year my family and friends can expect a little more than a limerick and bunch of wild flowers!

The Folks:

When it comes to Christmas decor, my mum could give Kris Jenner a run for her money. Never mind North Pole, our home becomes the North West pole! This gold-dipped fresh eucalyptus, berried myrtle and blue thistle wreath would be the cherry on top!


A festive candle always goes down a storm too. I have my eyes set on this decadent Diptyque limited edition number. That said, Burberry's Black Amber candle smells equally inviting.


My mum used to work in Japan back in the '80s, so I think this oriental calendar would thrill her!


If you're celebrating on a shoestring, consider treating your ma to her #lastsupper dessert. Switch it up a notch by either baking it yourself, or buying the most expensive damn éclair they sell.


TIL éclair means lightning in French and is named as such because they're eaten in a flash. How delightful.

As y'all know my mum runs her own upcycling business, Bliss By Karen x, so I think a cheeky trip to Farrow & Ball is in order.  There's a delicious dusty rose shade called peignoir that would look stellar on one of her latest finds.


 My pops is the greatest cook in the world - there, I said it. I think he'd get a right kick out of this star baker apron. Some cake forks would also be a welcome addition to the kitchen.

For as long as I can remember, my father has been a loyal subscriber to National Geographic ~ although he's usually the last to read it #sorrynotsorry. I can't recommend enough treating your <3 one to a subscription based on one of their passions ~ it's the gift that keeps on giving!


BTW how lavish is this month's issue of Vogue?! *emoji heart eyes*


If, like mine, your old man is an avid rambler ~ why not treat him to a £ worth of barley sugar to keep in his coat pocket on blustery walks? Or pop a classic Romney's kendal mint cake in his stocking? Did you know that the first blokes to successfully ascent Mount Everest in 1953 munched on these?  The brand recently released a limited edition cake to celebrate Kendall Jenner's 21st ~ now that's good marketing!


Paris Hilton’s 21st birthday (2002) || Kendall Jenner’s 21st birthday (2016)

On the topic of limited edition goodies, TELL ME YOU'VE SEEN THE REVAMPED PERCY PIGS?! 


How utterly adorable are they?! Although I do think they missed a trick by resisting the term 'merry pigmas' in their ad campaign. There are two types of people.

For the bookworm in your life, you can always rely on gifting Waterstones' book of the year. My local has nailed marketing this yearsSsSssSs,



Siblings:

If somone @ the table isn't wearing turkey slippers, a garish headband and/or brussels sprout socks, is it even Christmas?


No Christmas is complete without a Wyer backgammon game. This chic Ted Baker set is right up my brother's street!


A pair of gloves, an umbrella or a scarf are ace go-to gifts for any gentleman in your life. These Paul Smith scarves would look so dapper on my darling brother Billy.

1 / 2 / 3

I'm even tempted to get him these adorable polar bear cufflinks to wear to work throughout winter!


A decent pair of slippers would also be well loved I'm sure...

1 Barbour Monty / 2 Ted Baker Youngi Mules

Valar morghulis, Bill!



*bagsy being the three eyed raven!

At the sweet shop, we're currently selling wholesale sizes of some of our bestsellers such as...


A few years ago I bought my brother this giant box of bubbaloo gum from Amazon. His face lit up with nostalgia when he opened it and we were transported back to long summer nights in Corfu playing krifto (tig) with our school friends. 


My current PJ's are dotted with figgy puddings, but if your sis is a wee more sophisticated, these are a dream. Bonus brownie points if you get them monogrammed!


Why not treat them to a groovy syrup so they can indulge in caramel lattes without leaving the house? Or be a lil more adventurous and try some kookier flavours...


At spoons we have black forest hot chocs and gingerbread lattes on the Christmas menu and I cannot - get - enough. Bill, if you're reading this - HINT HINT!

If you're in the market for something sentimental, why not consider buying a collector's edition of your loved ones favourite novel or anthology? For my 22nd birthday my mother bought me Ted Hughes' savage collection of animal poems that I treasure! 


Grandparents:

My nana has a fascination with penguins, thus every Christmas her shrine grows. Last year we bought her a wicker penguin from Manchester Christmas markets, this year I've treated her to a penguin shaped flower pot from M&S which will no doubt take pride of place on her balcony. As my grandfather grew up in South Africa, every year we make an annual pilgrimage to sELFridges food hall for some biltong. His eyes always light up with glee when the cheese board is whipped out, so I've apocalypse style stockpiled obscure flavoured cheeses from our FAVOURITE supplier: the Cheshire cheese company for the big day. They visit my local artisan market, the treacle market, in Macclesfield the last Sabbath of every month and you best believe your girl stocks up. 


My personal favourite of theirs is their caramelised onion & rioja cheddar. Although their limited edition parma violets cheese had me feeling like I was in a fairy tale every morning when I made lilac cheese on toast.


My grandmother's garden in Greece is what dreams are made of. My local artisan market has a phenomenal stall called Waterside Willow, which regularly demonstrates how to make willow baskets. Their bestseller is their wacky dragonflies, which would look smashing in my grandmother's garden. I just need to figure out how to get one through customs..



.

When in doubt, shortbread.



Girl Gang:

For as long as I can remember, my best friend has been a die hard Gilmore Girls fan. Not only will this make a cracking Christmas prezzie, it also doubles up as a belated housewarming gift ~ Bob's your uncle!


You best believe the pheebs in my life will have veggie pick n mix in the post to them! 


An obscure gift related to your BFFs favourite cult film is failproof. Here's one that I might just have to order for myself:


HOORAY ~ Selfridges is now stocking Peter Thomas Roth skincare!


One can never own too many jazzy tote bags!

1 / 2 / 3

These Fresh Zodiac soaps are so groovy! 


You don't have to spend an arm and a leg, a cute pair of socks could make someone very happy indeed!

1 / 2

Or even spoil them with a few of their vices ~ I know what mine are...


I still live in hope that one Christmas I'll live to see the return of Cadbury's glorious snowflake bars! 

Henry Holland has recently collaborated with the fantastic charity Centrepoint which supports young homeless folks. Once again, my childhood friend Ioanna is braving the cold this winter to raise £ and awareness ~ I'm so proud to call her my friend! Click here to donate, or rock one of these groovy tops.


Kat Von D is now stocked at Debenhams - HALLELUJAH - why not treat your bff to one of her iconic everlasting liquid lipsticks? Damned would complement any festive look!

Secret Santa:

Booze and chocolate - you can't go wrong.

Lemon Drizzle Gin / Salted Caramel Kahlua / URSUS (personal fave) / Forest Gin (Mac represent')

A coffee gift card is also a safe bet. Caffe Nero's festive theme this year is utterly charming! 


The sweet shop I supervise is called Eat Me, in ode of the weird and wonderful Alice in Wonderful. I'm going to treat the team to these apt notebooks to write down customer suggestions in!


I'm actually gonna pick up a few treats from the sweet shop to share at my other jobs. I'm gonna buy some shandy bottles for my spoons family and some chocolate covered coffee beans for my M&S :-)


If you wanna spread a lil cheer in the staff room, why not surreptitiously pop an indulgent hot choc by the kettle ~ this Cadbury fudge one looks heavenly! I've actually been dunking candy canes in mine as of late à la Buddy the Elf ~ I like to call it the u go glen coco!

It's safe to say some supermarkets have gone a wee OTT with limited edition Christmas products ~ I'm looking at you Tesco and your mulled spice scented bleach / toilet roll / anti-bac wipes lol. However I'm alllll about their gingerbread latte diffuser ~ my flat smells like Santa's grotto! 

Clients:


If you run a business and have regular clients and/or staff, now is an ace opportunity to show your appreciation. If your budget is modest, a small box of prestat chocolates is tasteful. If you can push the boat out a lil more, there's nothing quite like a Christmas hamper! Carluccio's are the best, as far as I'm concerned.

December is a prime time to support local businesses. A family friend produces his own scrumptious honey in SO France. My family bought a few jars this winter to gift to our near and dear :-)


Gift vouchers to your favourite local joints is also a great way of introducing your friends to new cuisines and sharing the <3. At the sweet shop we have collaborated with a local shop 'mootiful' to create some bespoke vouchers! My baba can also expect a Lord Of the Pies giftbox under the tree.


Pets:

Everyone knows there's nothing cuter than a dog dressed as an elf or reindeer. How adorable is this basset hound dressed as a Victorian carol singer that I spotted on pinterest?!


FYI Pets @ home sell froyo for dogs(!) Treat your bff to a cosmic treat + if you're feeling extra generous, swing by your local butches for a pig's ear!


Heck, they even sell disco balls for the budgie in your life. What a time 2 b alive.


Tesco are selling xmas dinners for cats/dogs, so they're not forgotten on the big day. There's even magical reindeer food that you can sprinkle around the fireplace on Christmas eve for just £1 ~ ace if you have littluns! 100% of the proceeds are donated to the British Heart Foundation and Diabetes UK which is worth mentioning.


Nippers:

On my commute to work this morning, I spotted a mother and baby donning matching figgy pudding hats *squeals*.


1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11

Teachers:

My brother's girlfriend is a primary school teacher and the amount of commitment and passion she dedicates to her responsibility throughout the year is truly admirable. Here are a few gift ideas for those teaching the next generation. 


1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8

Alternatively you could select a gift related to the subject they teach. For instance buying a history teacher this neat replica of a tetradrachm. Another idea that is always a winner is to bake your signature dish ~ my mum always bakes my cousin banana bread for her birthday each year which thrills her!

~ ~ ~ ~

Rather than gifting something tangible, you could treat someone to a day out. 


Why not treat your mum to a relaxing Cowshed spa treatment? Who doesn't want to watch repeats of Sex and the City whilst having their nails did? Or book tickets to a gig ~ did you know De La Soul are coming to town?! Or if you're down in LDN, treat your mate to a pint at Rekorderlig's cider lounge. Ah how I miss the big smoke ~ wandering around southbank in December is nothing short of magic.


It's times like this that I miss living in the capital, and all the chaos that comes hand in hand with it. I remember there was an event many moons ago called Your Last Supper. The idea is that a lucky few send the event organisers what they would eat for their - yup, you guess it - last supper; we're talking starters, mains and dessert baby. The grooviest suggestions are then picked and if you're lucky on the night, yours will of made the final menu.

Easy Peasy: Watermelon/feta/mint salad, Pastitsio + Banana Split.


I also highly recommend checking out the listings for your local art house cinema ~ mine is screening festive classics all throughout the month: it's a wonderful life, Royal Ballet Live's Swan Lake(!!). Or show your support for Disney's latest feminist hero Moana. Not only does the movie pass the Bechdel test with flying colours... it also features the most ADORABLE tot! 


Also scout out local cinemas that have groovy events ~ my favourite place in LDN  was the Prince Charles cinema. What a riot that place was! 

A sea of red hats at a screening of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Why not take the reigns on dessert this yule? We always rustle up Wyer favourites such as kourambies, loukoumades, mince pies, trifle, you name it! Although I'll never live down Christmas '07 when I made the rookie mistake of accidentally baking mince pies with PUFF pastry. D'oh! If you're in the market for a quick fix, it doesn't get much better than Heston's chocolate bucks fizz swirl!

Some of the best gifts aren't necessarily the most decadent, but the most thoughtful. My dear friend in Greece used to have a jewellery shop in Corfu Town called the black pearl - I see you POTC fans!


You best believe this LUSH shower gel will be under his Christmas, well, olive tree this year!

At the Marks and Spencer's café that I work at, we've gradually introduced red cups to celebrate the season. For added measure, the free shortbread that comes with a coffee has shape shifted into a Christmas tree. The countdown is on!

Beatrix Potter : ‘The Rabbits’ Christmas Party: The Arrival’

When it comes to gift wrapping, paperchase have got it on lock. Although this year I'm thinking of stripping things back and going with a brown paper theme tied with tartan ribbon.


 I'm also digging these initial gift tags ~ not only are they chic, they'd also save good eating-time on Christmas morning when everyone is deciphering whose gift is whose. *unless you're a kardashian

SOMETIMES IT'S WHO!

I also spotted these unique glitterbugs at John Lewis by Joanna Buchanan:


You simply attach them to gifts or stockings for added razzle dazzle!

Mind you, this Tesco bag is ridiculously cute:


I feel so grateful to be working for 3 companies that truly embrace the season. Not to mention how bloody excited I already am for my spoons xmas doo in January ~ we've booked a karaoke booth at K2 in Chinatown and will b stumbling to canal street after. Cannot. Wait!


Amongst the tree of presents, it's all too easy to loose focus of the true essence of Christmas. Christmas is an opportunity, a time to reach out. If there's someone you're umming and ahhing about whether to send a card to, why not extend the olive branch? Or if words fail you, this symbolic peace lily could say it all.

HaS Someone Sprung to mind?



I hope you all get your cha cha heels!