Thursday 8 December 2016

Tradition

There's something so humbling in the air in December. Whistlers become hummers, the grip in a hug becomes slightly tighter and those same old songs that dominate the charts every winter get even the scroogiest person you know sentimental. Christmas tree shaped crumpets appear back on Asda's shelves, my Nana's ever growing collection of penguin memorabilia come out the attic and my yiayia sends over a kilo of Ion's cocoa (Greece's answer to Cadbury's). It truly is the most wonderful time of the year.

With my beloved Grandad's iconic melba toast!


To spread a lil Christmas spirit, I thought it'd be fun to share some ways to give your home a little xmas luvin and celebrate traditions. When it comes to decor, paperchase are killing it: from cheerleader alligator baubles to tooting Brussels sprout name cards, I can't get enough. Here are some mega cute baubles I've been lusting over:

Liberty / Tesco / House of Fraser / Paperchase (yes, that's a scuba diving alligator!)

If you're not Kardashianing this year, here are some funky Christmas card ideas:




When it comes to my family traditions, it all boils down to three Christmas day must haves: The Muppets Christmas Carol, pastitio or Grandad's melba toast (depending on which parent I'm with) and a post lunch walk in the countryside with the animals and cracker hats on. It also wouldn't be Christmas without the annual pilgrimage to the Manchester Christmas markets - I swear 70% of our mugs are from there!


GIANT PASTITIO <3



I've been experimenting in the kitchen this week and settled on the sides I'll be cooking on the 25th: nutmeg and honey roasted carrots + parsnip and sweet potato chips cooked, drizzled with coconut and sea salt. A lady popped into the sweet shop recently and by the end of the conversation, I was convinced she is Mrs.Clause. Basically she sellotapes onto each gift the preferred boiled sweet of its recipient. :O My Nana can expect Uncle Joe's sellotaped to hers this year, I'm sure she keeps them in business!



Here are some festive delights to jazz up your home:

Noel sign / Wooden reindeer figure / M&S golden jewels chocolates

Since my family have been in the jewellery industry for three generations, i think these gemstone choc on the kitchen counter are appropriate. You know its xmas in my baba's house when giant bags of basmati rice are in the pantry. Calling all bulk buyers, as Ramadan approaches you'll find huge bags of rice in larger supermarkets which are an ace investment. FYI, this also is the bees knees for the filling in homemade mince pies!


Other Christmas traditions that get me in the spirit is the night when I finally get round to wrapping everyone's presents. I get Christmas with Nat King Cole blaring, a glass of bucks fizz or everyone's favourite SHLOER and all my frivolous wrapping equipment. The older I get the more I go to town on the wrapping - in December I spend an obscene amount of $ in paperchase's ribbon and gift box isle.


I'd love to hear some of your family's traditions! I have a friend whose family have a different colour themed dress code each Christmas ~ gold, red and glitters would get my vote!