The weather down in London is getting rather bitter so I thought I'd share a winter-spiced pear and apple crumble recipe to warm us all up! Courtesy of the wonderful Deliciously Ella. Although my guilty pleasure is adding a dollop of vanilla ice cream to this scrumptious treat.
Serves: 6-8 / Prep time: 10 minutes / Cooking time: 45 mins
For the fruit layer: 5 red apples / 3 pears / 1 tsp ground cinnamon / 1 tsp ground ginger / 150g raisins
For the crumble layer: 200g pecans / 300g rolled oats / 2 tsp vanilla powder / 4 tbsp coconut oil / 8 tbsp date syrup / 3 tsp ground ginger / 3 tsp ground cinnamon / coconut yogurt (optional)
1. Start by making the fruit layer. Peel the apples and pears, then chop them into bite-sized pieces, discarding the cores.
2. Place the chopped pieces into a saucepan with the cinnamon, ginger and raisins, plus enough water to cover the bottom few centimetres of the pan. Let the fruit gently cook over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes until it's really soft.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C / Gas mark 6. Meanwhile, make the crumble layer. Place the pecans in a food processor for about 30 seconds, until they form a flour. Tip into a bowl and mix in the oats and vanilla powder.
4. Place the coconut oil, date syrup, ginger and cinnamon in a saucepan and gently hear the mix until the coconut oil melts. Pour this into the oat mix and stir it all together.
5. Once the fruit has cooked, place it in a baking tray dish and spread the crumble layer on top. Bake for 20 minutes, until the top turns a golden brown. Serve with coconut yogurt, if you like.