Saturday 4 October 2014

Brew Break #4 Oil Pulling

Happy Saturday Petals!


As it's the weekend and you may have some spare time on your hands, I thought I'd share with you a beauty secret I discovered a few months ago... oil pulling. I know the name sounds a little daunting but fear not! Oil pulling is super simple and if, like me, you become addicted, it'll become a lovely little step embedded into your morning routine.

So what is oil pulling? It's an ancient Indian practice in which you swirl a teaspoon of coconut oil (preferably organic and unrefined) around your mouth for twenty minutes and spit it out as you would a mouthwash. The system helps whiten teeth and generally improve oral health. Some people even claim that it's a natural pain relief and cures all things from headaches to hangovers. The term 'pulling' refers to how the toxins are pulled from your mouth.


Alright, I know it sounds a little wacky but it really does work! In the past few months that I've been oil pulling, I have visibly noticed my teeth whitening! I tend to do this ritual in the morning whilst checking my emails and scrolling through my favourite blogs.

In terms of which brand to use, I can't recommend Lucy Bee enough. When I worked for Nutrition Rocks, I liaised with the PR companies of many high street brands such as Burt's Bees, Laura Mercier etc and was lucky enough to be sent lots of organic and natural beauty products to test for features I was writing. One of the brands in question, was coconut oil Queen Lucy Bee, who generously sent me six pots of their INCREDIBLE oil - hence why I use coconut oil for every ailment you can think of! I'm like the dad who's obsessed with the healing powers of windex in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I've just remembered how brilliant that film is, I might watch it tonight...

HE DON'T EAT NO MEAT?! That's ok, that's ok... I make lamb!


(Sorry, easily distracted) Have you ever tried oil pulling?