Monday 23 February 2015

Monday Blues #9 Nutrition ROCKS!

Good morning Petals,

The last few weeks have been jam packed with uni, assignments and (liquorice) all-sorts! I thought I'd sign in quickly as today I begin a six week creative placement at Nutrition Rocks. As part of my degree, I have to take part in a 100+ hour placement, to which I'll then create an array of reflective essays and a final presentation back in Greenwich. Naturally, the first place that popped into my head was a brand I worked for back in 2013. 

If you haven't already heard of NR, it's an online magazine that encourages readers to lead a balanced lifestyle and promotes positive body image. The company is run by business woman, and my close friend, Hala El-Shafie. Not only is it a fun company to work for, but it's also incredibly fulfilling spreading such a refreshing and positive message.

During my eight months at NR, I worked as the brands PR & Marketing Assistant, as well as a features writer. I can't wait to see where the next six weeks take me and am over the moon that Hala has already offered me a permanent position once the placement is finished!

Jourdan Dunn popping over to say hi at V-fest - she's even more beautiful in real life!

 My time at NR was predominately spent preparing the logistics of our juice bar for V festival's VM Louder Lounge (the fancy shmancy VIP area), working at press events, followed by the festival itself. My time at the brand immensely helped expand my knowledge of the media world and also helped build my writing portfolio and networking skills. Overall, an invaluable summer!


You may be wondering why this post is under 'Monday Blues', it's because I wanted to share the way I originally landed the gig. It wasn't down to 'a friend of a friend' or nepotism, but sheer persistence. If you're trying to get your foot in the door, but have no connections...
Twitter is your new best friend.

Back in 2013, I'd spend hours hunting for possible jobs and eventually saw NR's tweet looking for an intern - which is the role I initially held. After a few emails back and forth between Hala, I found myself at Langan's in Mayfair for my interview. Before I knew it, we were sipping celebratory champagne and discussing upcoming events - it was all very surreal and overwhelming! Even though I dedicated the summer to the job and opted not to go home to Greece for the summer with the rest of my family and worked crazy hours, I genuinely enjoyed every minute! 

I implore you to start seeing the world with a fresh pair of eyes and see anything that sparks your curiosity as an opportunity to seize. Also, engage and connect over social media with those that inspire you, plant lots of seeds and in the future if (when) an opportunity arises, finger's crossed they'll recognise your name and give you a chance - that's when you grab the chance with both hands and run with it!

  I once read a quote that has always stuck with me:
"Talent is great, but persistence and tenacity is more important."


If you want updates on Nutrition Rocks' latest posts and some serious motivation on your feeds, follow us over on Instagram and Twitter!



Keep  blooming!