Saturday 3 October 2015

Brew Break #29 Strawberry Letter 23

More than kisses, letters mingle souls - John Donne

I hope you're having a magical weekend, petals. I've been feng-shui'ing my bedroom and stumbled upon a bunch of letters/notes/thingymabobs which triggered a range of overwhelming emotions and got me thinking about the joy of sending and receiving mail.


There's nothing more magical than writing/receiving a letter or tacky postcard (the tackier the better). My love for post began at a very young age, as growing up with family dotted all over the world meant frequent letters and exciting parcels. I also come from the type of family who cherishes and saves birthday/Christmas/name day cards every year.

(Does anyone else do this, or are we "special"?)


When I moved to England and began primary school, we each had a pen pal from a fellow student in a different city. I still have all the adorable letters and drawings my pen pal Savanna sent me and was heartbroken when she abruptly moved to France. If you have a sister called Jasmine, you used to have a rabbit called Rupert and a budgie called sunshine, ello ello ello!


Love letters are also a charming way to keep the fire burning and declare your love ~ especially with LD relationships. In the dog days of 2012, I had a summer romance which led to a string of love letters fluttering back and forth from Manchester to Athens which I still treasure.

FYI, Paperchase do the best postcards.

During my first two years of uni and summer adventures, I always made time to sit on a bench and write a heap of postcards to send to folks in different corners of the world. Even if friends and  I live in the same city but are busy bees, it's always comforting knowing that someone is thinking of you and invested in your friendship.


Tipsy 4am notes / My leaving card from when I worked in a coffee shop many moons ago

One of my most dear letters is the one my English teacher Mrs.Robinson gave me on my last day of high school five years ago (woah Nelly, I feel old). I hope she knows how much her encouragement catapulted me and to this day motivates me to push myself. 


I'm not sure what direction I was heading in with this post, but I hope I've inspired you to swing by paperchase, reach out and let those you care about feel the love. Also a simple gesture could find its way to your friends fridge and light up their day each morning when they reach for the milk - or even end up in a hat box and be treasured for years to come.

These are the groovy glitter cards that I'm currently using:

 Even if you're bad with words, just doodle the card full of lovehearts and sign it. Or even leave your loved one a loveydovey post-it note on their pillow. Go on, brighten someone's day!



I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light. - Helen Keller 




You've got a friend,