Friday 18 September 2015

Bibbidi-Bobbidi Bits & Bobs #10

Happy Friday Petals!

Can you believe how fast September is flying by?! So far I've spent the month celebrating various pals 21st birthdays and adjusting back to life in gloomy Blighty. Next week I'm back to London to begin my final year of uni which is equally daunting and thrilling ~ I can't wait to get back in the swing of my creative writing course and see where my new assignments take me! 

As I'm back next week, I've been keeping my eyes open a little wider than usual for wackydooda things to inspire me. I thought I'd share a smorgasbord of things I've taken note of in the past few weeks that have caught my eye!

Sticking with the whole theme of university and the dreaded back to life, back to reality, I LOVE this hysterical Buzzfeed article about the nuts lengths us students resort to to save a buck. Calling all freshers: when times get tough, a game of poker with food at stake will see you through!


As a third year student, it goes without saying that I'm accustomed by now to thinking outside of the box to save cash and am able to stretch a £1. To get back into the groove of living a modest lifestyle, I've been following this '30-day minimalism challenge' that I stumbled upon on Tumblr...


I thoroughly recommend jumping on the bandwagon as some of these tasks have really made me re-evaluate certain aspects of my life and encouraged me to turn my phone on airplane mode a wee more often!

This glorious Buzzfeed article featuring breathtaking shots from some of the most magnificent cult movies of our time never fails to leave me in awe and bursting with inspiration. Whenever I find myself in a writing rut, I either go for a walk, pop the kettle on or scroll through my various 'things that make me happy' folders in which this features.

Psycho / Mulan / Big Fish / Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

I HAD to share this next video as it'll warm the cockles of your heart. There's a Speaking Exchange project in the states which enables elderly folks living in retirement homes to teach eager Brazilian kids English via the power of the internet... how heart warming and innovative!


This week saw the 99th birthday of one of my writing idols Roald Dahl ~ to celebrate I ate a slice of cake, made a wish and listened to his BBC Desert Island Discs from 1979!


Whilst on the subject of the BBC, I recently signed a petition to stop the BBC from axing Cbeebies and implore you to make a stand to. Although I wasn't living in the UK young enough to ever watch Cbeebies, lord knows I loved me some CBBC and unfortunately if one goes, it may create a domino effect! 


I don't know about you, but when I look back on my formative years, all the shows and presenters played a major role in my childhood. In fact, only the other day a friend and I were YouTubing old episodes of Watch My Chops / The Queen's Nose / Yvon of the Yukon and reminiscing!

Around about this time every year I declare my undying love for Burning Man festival and proclaim how I want need to go  ~ this year is no exception! This cosmic drone footage from 2013's spectacle has me dreaming of Nevada!


This photograph taken in 2003 of members of the Naobi Village performing an early morning ritual just so happens to be my current desktop background on my laptop and always brings a grin to my face!


Although I'm back at uni next week, I don't fly south for winter until Tuesday and on Monday in Trafalgar Square to celebrate World Peace Day, there will be a meditation session between 6:30pm - 7pm. If any fellow Londoners are reading, then the ins and outs of the gathering are here... Namaste!


I was recently struck by this article written by Mark Boyle, author of Drinking Molotov Cocktails with Gandhi, that I read on The Guardian which was both fascinating and alarming.

Resist, Revolt, Rewild.


As much as I love Corfu, it's wonderful being back in Manchester and experiencing the weird and wonderful events going on every day that always leave me a little poorer and inspired! There's a funky new pop up cinema taking the city by storm called Cult Sauce. They screen cult classics and provide food inspired by the movies - HOW AMAZING IS IT?! Their first screening just so happened to be one of my all time favourites The Goonies but was the night before I flew back to England *sob*  


Here's the menu from the night, the baby ruth sloth pots in
particular sounds incr-edible!

What has been inspiring you lately or made you chuckle?

OoO also, what was your favourite CBBC show?