Thursday 26 October 2017

Whit’s Fur Ye’ll No Go Past Ye

I read an article the other day about a geordie bloke who had a meeting in London. Hmm, this is beginning to sound like a limerick. Anyway, he managed to skirt around the UK's staggering train fares by taking a cheeky detour to Spain. This ingenious idea was not only cheaper, but - actually, see for yourself:

Newcastle > London train: £78.50

OR

Newcastle > Menorca flight £15.99
Menorca > London flight £10.99
Car hire £7.50
Sex on the beach cocktail £4

This chap realised that he could spend an afternoon on an exotic Spanish island, hire a car, have a cocktail on the beach, then fly to London and still have £40 left over - or sit on a three hour train. What would you have rather done? It especially made me chuckle as in the past I too have gone to extremes to get from A to B, managing to not only save money but squeeze in random City breaks as a bonus!


Norwegian chocolate wrappers stuck in one of my old high school diaries.

At the tail end of summer 2012, I saved a decent amount on my Corfu - Manc flight by flying via Oslo. My pals and I made the most of our 8 hour stop and had a majestic afternoon exploring Norway's capital. Similarly last year I flew Corfu - Manchester via Glasgow. As a bunch of my Greek friends are studying there, I stuck around for a couple of wild days then got the megabus home. The flight was a third of the price and the megabus cost a measly £13!

I've actually visited Glasgow a few times now and am head over heels in love with the city. I even dedicated a post once to my favourite jaunts in the city. During my fleeting trip last September, I insisted on squeezing in a trip to my favourite spot: the gallery of modern art:




I also caught the cosmic adventures in space exhibition at the lighthouse. I spent the afternoon exploring the history of architecture in science-fiction through books, films, TV and comics - I was engrossed!





If you're a fellow sci-fi enthusiast, I recommend checking out Aeon Flux!



The next time you're trying to get from A to B and find yourself setting the Erinyes on northern rail's ludicrous prices, remember that there are more than two letters in the alphabet...